How to Monitor Clinical Trials Remotely
Clinical trials are the new evolution in the medical field and are indispensable in new drug development. Besides finding solutions for clients, the clinical trials also give patients a great shot at recuperating at home (or in their comfort spaces) without any inconvenience. While it is an excellent approach to different health conditions, you need to know the best methods to monitor the trials remotely. Remote monitoring allows pharmacies and major CROs to remotely check and conduct monitoring activities that would have only been conducted on-site. Monitoring involves various activities such as checking the processes, procedures, reports and verifying the accuracy of all the data submitted. Let’s have a look at the benefits of remote clinical trial monitoring as well as the most favourable methods.
ObvioHealth offers real-time monitoring and real-world data in remote clinical trials via a virtual platform that enables remote clinical research.
The Advantages of Remote Clinical Trial Monitoring
There are several benefits that a clinical facility gets from monitoring its clinical trials remotely. Let’s have a quick look.
- It breeds effective collaboration: Monitoring these trials remotely enhances the partnership between the sponsors and the clinical research staff members. Everyone gets value from the entire process.
- It saves time: Considering everything is done remotely, it saves so much time, unlike traditional on-site monitoring. The latter requires that you go to the particular location and check how the patients or subjects are faring on, record all your findings and present them to the required administrators. This is always hectic and takes too much time.
- It saves you money: On-site visits not only take a lot of time but they also consume lots of money. When your staff members will be going to the locations, you need to find them places to stay, find means of transportation, as well as food and other utilities. With remote clinical trial monitoring, you will not need to spend all that money. The budget allocated for the latter is far much affordable and reasonable.
- The monitoring is patient-oriented: Remote monitoring is always patient-centric. It primarily focuses on patients suffering from lifetime diseases such as diabetes and cancer who are not required to be confined to the clinical environment at all the time. They will enjoy high-quality monitoring without going to the hospitals or clinics.
- You get enough time to focus on the core study: Your clinical research staff will have more time to concentrate on other business in the clinic.
- Patients are always available: You never have to worry about patient recruitment. In most cases, patients drop out from the trials due to inconveniences with travelling. Since it is remote, they need not travel or leave their comfort; patients are more willing to take part.
Standard Methods for Monitoring Clinical Trial Remotely
- Using Software Solutions: Remote monitoring of patients is never one-sided. You can use invaluable software systems (such as LIMS, for instance) to check on the patients and know how they are faring. Besides saving time and meeting the required deadlines in good time, these solutions are also automated and make things more convenient. Some of the famous solutions you can choose include Remarque, Promeditec, biosphere, Florence, and Veeva.
- Making Calls to Patients: If you do not want to use the software solutions, you can always call the patients and know how they are faring. You will study their voice, their reactions, and you can also see them through video calls. Other video visiting platforms include Zoom and WebEx. You can use them and monitor your clinical trials.
- Access through EMR (Electronic Medical Records): These are external records that collect information about a patient and relay it to you. For you to use them in a particular jurisdiction, you need to confirm with the local authorities so that you do breach any set rules and regulations.
- Using a tiered approach: You can also choose to integrate all the methods for more accurate and convenient monitoring. Talk to a professional to help you tailor a suitable plan or method.
Clinical trial monitoring is not a new subject to anyone in the medical research field. Once you put a patient through a particular process or treatment, you need to carefully study how they react, monitor their bodily functions and record. It helps you know how people will respond to the particular solution. It is the newest trend in town and will help the world develop better treatment plans for patients in the comfort of their home.